Civil Society's call for correct implementation of EU law on family reunification
This announcement was delivered on the occasion of the public hearing on “The Right to Family Reunification of Third Country Nationals living in the EU” organised by the European Integration Forum (EIF) (31 May – 1 June 2012).
General conclusions and discussions of the participants at the public hearing lead to the following points
- Integration measures should not be used as conditions that hamper the process of family reunification.
- Some Member States do not take into account the best interests of children and are denying family reunification by not respecting the principles of effectivity and proportionality.
- Member States must comply with the judgement of the Court of Justice of the EU stressing that excessive fees imposed on migrants are disproportionate and go against the right to family reunification in the Directive.
- Refugees and beneficiaries of subsidiary protection have the same protection needs and deserve same treatment with regards to family reunification.
- Member states must stop exaggerating the number of cases of abuse and the means used to tackle them.
The statement is
The article is based on the "Civil Society's call for correct implementation of EU law on family reunification gets quick support from Commission" from Caritas Europa website.